What is Experience Protection Insurance?
Experience Protection Insurance provides hosts of most Airbnb experiences with liability insurance of up to $1,000,000 USD for their legal responsibility to a guest that gets hurt or has their property damaged while participating in an Airbnb experience, subject to policy terms, conditions, and exclusions. This program applies to hosts of experiences, except in mainland China and Japan. It doesn't apply to hosts of accommodations.
This insurance also applies to hosts while they are preparing an area for the Airbnb experience. Co-hosts that provide related services in connection with an experience may also be covered.
Here are some examples of when Experience Protection Insurance coverage may apply:
- A guest or third party gets injured after falling off their bike during an experience, and the host has legal responsibility
- A guest or third party has their property stolen during an experience, and the host has legal responsibility
Here are some examples of what Experience Protection Insurance doesn’t cover:
- Bodily injury or property damage the host intended or expected to cause (not an accident)
- Damage, loss, or theft to a host’s personal property
- Experiences involving aircrafts or certain types of extreme activities (like bungee jumping and heli-skiing)
- Any bodily injury, property damage, or other loss arising out of the actual or alleged transmission of a communicable disease such as the coronavirus (COVID-19)
Hosts of online experiences may be covered by Experience Protection Insurance in the rare event a guest is injured or their property damaged during one of these interactive video sessions and the host is legally responsible. Experience Protection Insurance doesn’t cover hosts for certain incidents that can occur online such as defamation, theft of electronic data, or infringement of intellectual property rights.
Experience Protection Insurance is subject to terms, conditions, and exclusions. It does not apply to all liability or cover all types of experiences. For more information, download a comprehensive program summary.