How do rule-sets work?
If you have multiple listings, you may have access to features that let you create custom pricing and availability rules that you can save and apply to multiple listings.
How it works
You name your rule-set, then add rules for how you’d like your nightly price to change when your rule-set is applied.
You can add the following rules to a rule-set:
- Nightly price: Adjust the price per night for your listing based on the time of year. For example, you can create a rule that increases your nightly price by 10% for dates during the holiday season.
- Length-of-stay discounts: Give guests a discount for booking longer stays. You can discount by the week, month, or a custom time frame that you create.
- Last-minute discounts: Reduce your nightly price as the check-in date gets closer.
- Early-bird discounts: Add a discount for booking further in advance.
- Trip length requirements: Set the minimum and maximum number of nights that guests can book.
- Check-in and checkout requirements: Choose the days that guests can check in and out.
How rules are used to calculate your nightly price
Once you apply a rule-set to a listing, it will override existing pricing and availability settings you’ve set for those dates. However, these rules will not affect listing prices when Smart Pricing is turned on, so you must turn Smart Pricing off in order to use this feature.
If your rule-set includes multiple pricing rules, they’ll be applied in this order:
- Nightly and weekend pricing
- Early-bird, last-minute and length-of-stay (weekly, monthly) discounts – these will be combined and then applied as one discount
For example, this is how the price would be calculated using a rule-set with both a nightly rate rule and an early-bird discount rule:
- Nightly rate of $100 plus a nightly rate increase of 10% = $110
- $110 minus a 20% early-bird discount = $88
In another example, this is how the price would be calculated using a rule-set with a nightly rate rule, an early-bird discount and a weekly discount:
- Nightly rate of $100 plus a 10% nightly rate increase = $110
- Early-bird discount of 20% plus a weekly discount of 10% = 30% combined discount
- Total takes the $110 nightly rate and subtracts the 30% combined discount for a final total of $77
After the price is calculated using your rule-sets, the cleaning and Airbnb service fee are added to the total reservation price.
Find out more about how to create and edit rule-sets.