Ocean Front Cottage overlooking the calm waters of Thunder bay cove: This comfortable cottage sleeps 6 & is a perfect vacation spot for family & friends.The spacious deck & front room boast fantastic oceans views of the bay which is frequented by sailboats, marine mammals and birds. Access to the beach, swimming, kayaks and the fire pit is an easy 1 min. walk. The house is close to great hiking trails, parks, swimming holes, clam & oyster beaches and the Saltery Bay Ferry. Only 15 minutes to PR.
Located along the upper Sunshine Coast south of Powell River , This rustic ocean cottage is situated on a private 5 acre property located Thunder Bay' sheltered waters. This cozy cottage is only a short 1 minute walk to the beach front and water. The Cottage's living room and deck have beautiful sweeping ocean views with Hardy island framed in the backdrop. This unique vacation getaway is very comfortable and private - great for rest, relaxation and spending quality time with family and friends. Thunder Bay's gently rolling waves are perfect for fishing, kayaking & swimming. The beach is a mix of sand islands, pebbles, rocks and boulders – perfect for beach combing and children chasing after shore crabs and little fish. The views are endless and observant guests may see bald eagles, blue herring, harbor seals and sea lions - maybe a mermaid? Thunder Bay's beach is symbolic of the Pacific Northwest with an abundance of sea life visible throughout the year including crab, oysters, shells, starfish. As the sun sets, the fire pit is available for roasting marsh mellows or hot-dogs. Enjoy a beverage around the fire while campfire stories unfold and memories are made. The lawn next to the beach hut is ideal for lawn games such as bocce balls. Truly an amazing place to vacation along the Sunshine Coast!
The house was barged up from Vancouver and was probably built in the late 60's - it has some recent updates such as fresh paint, lighting, flooring, bathtub , etc. - it's a cottage!
- Comfortable Living Room with couch, Lounge Chair, TV (Netflix), & small stereo. The living room has a large windows with great views of the incoming waves.
- Dining Area - Convenient dining room table seating 6 is located adjacent the kitchen.
- Kitchen – fully equipped with all the essentials and more: Refrigerator, Stove, Microwave, Coffee maker, Toaster, Pots/Pans, Dishes, basic spices...Everything you would need to cook and entertain!
- Ocean Deck spanning approx. 400 sft. - overlooking the tranquil ocean waters with ample seating and patio table & chairs and BBQ. The deck is perfect for relaxing with a book or soaking up the afternoon sun with your favourite drink or snack.
- Bedroom #1 - Queen size bed + closet + large window
- Bathroom Upstairs – New Shower/Tub, Vanity sink and toilet.
- Laundry room/mudroom with Washer/Dryer off main entrance.
Stairs lead to the lower Rec-Bunk Room which is perfect for the kids/youth to hang out and relax while adults are on the main floor.
- Bedroom #2 - Queen size bed + closet + window
- Recreation / Bunk Bed room combo - Comfortable Couch and chairs ideal for lounging while playing board games and hanging out. A Bunk-bed (Single over Double size bed) is conveniently situated at the back of the room which can accommodate sleeping.
- Bathroom Downstairs – Shower, Vanity sink and toilet.
- Lower Mini Kitchen with sink only (not for cooking) - ideal for crafts.
- Lower sliding door – emergency exit and access to yard.
Other Highlights / Overview:
*Maximum number of guests is 6 including children.
*Fresh linens & sheets, towels, toiletries (toilet paper / shampoo / soap), iron, blow dryer.
*Floor fans and desk fans
*Wireless Internet (WIFI) and Netflix included PLUS Phone with free calling to Canada and USA. Cell phone coverage is limited but there are pockets around the property.
*Each floor has smoke alarms and fire extinguishers.
*First Aid kit.
*High efficiency Heat pumps provide a silent source of heat .
*Green space / lawn games: Italian bocce balls game set & triple swing set
*Beach Hut: Table & Chairs, Kayaks (2 adult+1 kids), Life jackets (many units of S-M-L-XL + youth), beach toys. The fire pit is close to the hut and has logs for seating (folding chairs available at hut)
*A separate self contained house is also located on the 5 acre property and is not part of the rental cottage – the space may be caretaker occupied depending seasonal plans.
Cottage: This cottage (sleeps 6) also sits on the 5 acre property. This cottage is self contained and has its own parking and its access to the beach frontage assigned to it (western side - right hand side looking at the water). A separate beach hut, fire pit and kayaks belong to the cottage guests. The beachfront can be accessed by walking 1 minute down the small access path that runs along the west side of the property.
Main house: The main house located off to the south-east of the cottage is off limits and a separate self contained residence/rental. The house is far enough away to afford privacy to all. Guests of the Main house have access to the eastern portion of the beach frontage (Left side looking at the water) which includes their own Beach house and kayaks & fire pit area.
Common area: Any green space is common area and this includes the bocce balls and swing set. Also, anything below the shoreline is common area for all to enjoy.
Guests are welcome to explore and enjoy what the property has to offer. Please be respectful of others that may be staying at the main house.
Interaction with guests
Guests will be greeted upon their arrival by the host, given a quick tour of the house providing an opportunity to ask any questions or seek any advice. Guests will be left on their own for the duration of their trip – free to explore, unwind and relax. Call us or email or text any time and we will be happy to assist you and make your stay an even more memorable one. A House guide book is available and within these pages are many suggestions to aid with your plans for sightseeing, restaurants, hikes, swimming locations, clam & oyster beaches, tours, day excursions to Texada Quarry lake, Savary Island, etc...
Other things to note
There are a couple of wild deer that frequent the property on a daily basis, Feel free to name them. For their well being (and yours :) please do not approach or attempt to feed them. In the country, its important to keep food stored and garbage secured so as not to attract unwanted visitors such as ants, rodents, raccoon or even black bears – its the country side and they live here too. The screen doors should be kept closed to avoid any unwanted insects from flying inside the house depending on the time of year / weather. Thank-you!
This is your vacation on the Sunshine coast but its important to us you understand its our family home as well - please respect the rules regarding:
- Absolutely NO SMOKING & NO PETS and no large functions (i.e. wedding parties/events). Any guests (or day visitors) who brings a pet onto the property or inside the house - or - smokes inside the the house will automatically forfeit the damage deposit which will be used for additional cleaning.
- Septic System: When using the toilet, ONLY TOILET PAPER is to be flushed down the toilet and no other items as this would damage the septic tanks and field. No oil or food is to be dumped down the sink as this too causes problems for the septic system.
- Garbage is to be stored in the assigned containers in order to not attract unwanted animals (i.e. bears, raccoons :), insects or critters - this is the country and they live here too. Any harvested oyster or clam shells should be scattered back into the ocean water.
- Local provincial fire restrictions must be followed if campfire bans are in effect during the dry summer season - contact numbers provided in the house book. Fines and criminal charges for ignoring these fire ban laws rest solely on the guest.
The house and property is yours to enjoy - a great deal of 'extras' are included to make your stay memorable and comfortable.
This host has 19 reviews for other properties.View other reviews